Get Started - School To Work Transition
Get Started is an innovative School to Work transition service designed specifically for students with a disability, injury or barrier. Get Started helps students better prepare for the world of work and the opportunities that exist after school life.
Get Started provides tailored support, training, mentoring and planning assistance for young people with a disability to successfully transition from school to work and other post school options.
To be eligible for consideration for the Get Started Program in 2017, the Student must be:
- A School Student in Year 11 or 12.
- A Student who has been assessed as having a diagnosed disability, injury or illness.
- Has the ability to self care and manage own medication needs or has access to a Teacher’s Aide to assist during training.
- Able to effectively communicate or has an effective communication system in place to communicate in an individual and group setting.
- Be motivated to participate.
- Have a goal or aspiration for employment.
- Able to transport self to and from the program, or has transport support in place.
A range of delivery models have been developed based on the needs of individual Participants, their goals and aspirations. Delivery of Get Started is fully flexible and customised based on the needs of the Participant. Get Started consists of formal and informal training, centred and community based activities. Depending on the Participants needs and goals, Get Started is offered between 28 months to 12 months.
- Vocational potential and skills assessment
- Career counselling
- Person centred school to work transition planning, development and coordination
- Group vocational skills training
- Individual vocational skills training
- Work sampling and enterprise learning projects
- Structured workplace learning - work experience
- On the job training and support
- Mentoring support
- Assistance in coordinating or managing life stages, transitions and support
- Post school employment assistance - individual
- Post school employment assistance - group support
- On the job training and support including employer advice
- Assessment to identify vocational potential and suitability
- Transition to school and other education programs - program design, planning and implementation
- Transition from school to further education
- Access to timely and accurate career guidance information
- Opportunities to develop and practice employment related skills
- Access to structured workplace learning, employment opportunities and vocational learning opportunities.
- Seamless coordination of support through local partnerships, schools, agencies, nosiness individuals and the community.
- Transition to Vocational Education and Training (VET),
- Transition to employment.
- Secure school-based apprenticeship and other traineeships and apprenticeships.
Get Started is proudly supported by Specialised Geo in 2016/2017. Specialised Geo is an Australian owned company specialising in geotechnical solutions for civil, construction, mining and maintenance projects. They have particular expertise in working in difficult, hazardous and inaccessible sites throughout Australia.